Experience. Enjoy. Love
Enjoy the incredible atmosphere of an old wine village, be fascinated by and learn about the numerous
historical mysteries, try the delicious local wine and home-cooked fresh food in a traditional Heurigen, listen to the beautiful sounds of live Schrammel music, admire the magnificent sights and breath-taking scenery,
breathe in the fresh country air, and take a trip into and explore the vineyards.
The first mention of
Grinzing dates back to 1114. Today Grinzing still preserves the charm of an 18th century village. The history of the district is full of myths and ancient legends.
Grinzing and its surrounding areas have centuries-old traditions of wine making. Since the middle ages winegrowers have been selling wine in Heurigen, located near the vineyards.
The magnificent natural beauty of Grinzing has attracted many prominent well-known people, such as Beethoven, Schubert, Strauss, Gogol, Mahler, Einstein, Freud, and Pippal to stay or visit it.
The Vienna woods lie on the edge of Grinzing, a truly wonderful recreation area, where one can enjoy the trees, greenery, meadows, its wildlife, and the views of superb landscapes and Vienna.
The History of Grinzing and its surrounding areas is full of legends and myths. The first mention of Grinzing dates back to 1114 when the village came into the possession of the noble house Grinzinger who built the Trummelhof, which you still can see in Cobenzelgasse, 30. This court was built on top of Roman ruins, so the history of this place starts long before, in Roman times. Even now one can see Roman ruins in the surrounding areas of Grinzing.
In the Middle Ages the town was mainly inhabited by farmers, wine makers and day laborers who served the monasteries and the rich Viennese. Grinzing as well as Vienna suffered greatly from the Turkish troops in 1529 and 1683, it was destroyed by fire in 1604, and damaged during Napoleon's invasion in 1809. Nevertheless Grinzing was rebuilt and has developed into a better area than its neighbouring districts.
The church of Grinzing, which you can see on the main street started being built in 1426 and recieved the status of a parish church in 1783.
The year 1784 is another important milestone in the history of Grinzing, as in this year Emperor Joseph II exempted wine sales from tax, which resulted in the region flourishing as most households were involved in wine production.
In 1892 Grinzing was included in the city of Vienna.
Vienna is the only capital in the world, which has vast vineyards within the city borders, and Grinzing is known as one of the best wine regions of Vienna. Viticulture is many centuries history. The first grape vines were imported here by the Romans. Winegrowers sold new wine in Heurigen (small drinking establishments, located near the vineyards).
During the reign of Emperor Joseph II Grinzing became well-known as a region of Heurigen.
The most popular local wines are Grüner Vetliner, Wiener Gemischter Satz, Riesling, Weissburgunder, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Muskateller, Traminer, Rosé, Zweigelt, and Cabernet / Merlot.
Every year the 19th District of Vienna arranges wine tasting.
2018 Wine Competition winners
Wiener Gemischter Satz DAC
1. Platz Weingut Stift Klosterneuburg 2017
1. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz 2017
3. Platz Weingut Cobenzl 2017
Wiener Gemischter Satz DAC Lagenwein
1. Platz Weingut Kroiss 2017 Ried Mitterberg
2. Weingärtnerei Uhler 2017 Ried Mitterberg
3. Platz Weingut Kroiss 2017 Ried Hackenberg
1. Platz Weingut Lenikus 2017
1. Platz Weingärtnerei Uhler Ried Reisenberg 2017
3. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz Ried
Schenkenberg 2017 Riesling
1. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz 2016 Ried Preussen Nussberg
2. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz 2017 Ried Nussberg Weißer Marmor
3. Platz Weingut Kroiss 2017 Ried Hackenberg alte Reben
3. Platz Weingut Fuhrgassl Huber 2017 Ried Nussberg
1. Platz Weingut Zawodsky 2017
1. Platz Weingut Stift Klosterneuburg 2017 Ried Jungherrn
3. Platz Weingut Cobenzl 2017 Ried Reisenberg
1. Platz Weingut Fuhrgassl-Huber 2017 Ried Neuberg
2. Platz Weingut Kroiss 2017 Ried Hackenberg
3. Platz Weingut Ried Hackenberg 2017
3. Platz Weingut Wiegel 2017
1. Platz Weingut Zawodsky 2017
1. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrpaltz 2017
1. Platz Weingut Fuhrgassl-Huber 2017
1. Platz Weingut Fuhrgassl-Huber Roter Muskateller 2017 Ortswein
2. Platz Weingärtnerei Uhler 2017 Ried Reisenberg
2. Weingut Muth 2016
1. Platz Weingärtnerei Uhler Zweigelt Rosé 2017
2. Platz Wailand 2016 Zweigelt Ried Pratteln
2. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz 2017 Fräulein Rosa von Döbling
1. Platz Müllers Weingut Rosé
2. Platz Weingut Stift Klosterneuburg Brut „Mathäi“
2. Platz Weingut Fuhrgassl-Huber 2017 Zweigelt Frizzante
1. Platz Weingut Mayer am Pfarrplatz 2015 Ried Nussberg
2. Platz Weingut Cobenzl 2013 Ried Bellevue
3. Platz Weingut Muth 2015 Ried Nussberg
1. Platz Weingut Kroiss 2016 Hackenberg
2. Platz Weingut Hajszan Neumann 2015 Ried Nussberg
3. Platz Weingut Wailand 2016 Ried Pratteln
1. Platz Weingut Muth 2012 Cuvee Ried Nussberg
1. Platz Weingut Cobenzl 2013 Cuvee Atrium
3. Platz Weingut Taschler 2014 Cuvee Thor
3. Platz Weingut Wailand 2016 Cuvee Trio
Art & Culture
The beauty of Grinzing has attracted many prominent people. Musicians, writers, scientists, painters, artists like Beethoven, Schubert, Strauss, Gogol, Mahler, Einstein, Freud, Pippal, and many others have visited Grinzing or lived here and created their masterpieces.
Beethoven was composing his Pastoral Symphony, when he stayed here in 1808 at house No. 64 on Grinzinger Straße.
Many painters, such as Pippal and Rothang, depicted Grinzing in their works of art.
The region is remarkable for its architecture. In Grinzingerstrasse you can see a number of Biedermeier houses. In Hohe Warte there are houses, designed by Josef Hoffman: Villa Moser-Moll, Villa Spitzer, Villa Ast, etc.
The Parish Church of Grinzing is a wonderful example of Gothic architecture from the 15th century.
Grinzing's Nature and Vienna Woods
Grinzing is famous for its landscapes and incredible nature - Vienna woods, hills, vineyards, meadows, etc. The first mention of the Vienna woods is from the ancient Greeks, the Romans spoke of the healing power of the local nature. And in the18th century this region was more well known for health spas than for wine.
Hiking and biking trips are very popular. Heurigen and viewing points are situated along the trails where you can have a rest and enjoy the spectacular views. Vienna woods give a real feeling of wildlife and its possible to see various species of birds and butterflies, emerald lizards, foxes, hares, squirrels, etc.
Today people come to Grinzing to enjoy nature, fresh air, and to do a variety of sports.